Monday, January 20, 2014

Week 2 in NJ

Familia.

The people here are crazy. CRAZY. I have had so many great opportunities and stories this past week. I am seriously in the hood. There is so much drugs and garbage and filth here. Surprisingly though, I love being out there contacting and talking to so many people. Our apartment is huge (biggest in the mish), but I would much rather be talking to some homeless lady who had seen demons. Sometimes it gets pretty chilly out there, but the thermals and coat I have keep me so warm. The cold doesn't really get to me through my layers. My feet though hurt so bad sometimes. I don't know why, but I am guessing it is because I walk for days. 
So three different times this week people have yelled at us to go talk to them. Leraine was he first. She is the best. She is in her sixties and is full of energy. She has no filter. We showed her around the chapel last week (I think I mentioned that in my last letter), then this week we have had opportunities to see how her life has changed already. She is so funny and sometimes really crude. Just one of those sassy young at heart fireball. Another person yelled at us from across the street so we went over and talked to him. He was so high. He started talking to us about his beliefs and stuff, told us about his life, said he needed change. We helped him best we could ( i gave him a pack of fruit snacks). I am leaving out some details, but we talked and listened to him for 2 hours. He then drove away and we haven't talked to him since.
Another lady stopped us and went on about how she has seen demons and her sister is out to get her. It could all be true, I dont know... It is just so foreign to me.
I met with a scholar this week on the street (we stopped him). He tore Christianity apart with all his science and "facts" and stuff. He was once a minister, but couldn't preach what he didn't know. My companion got pretty riled up. He did not have the spirit... but I tried my best to stay level headed, hear what the man had to say, then thank him for the stuff he taught me. I struggled that day, wondering if God is really there, if I really did believe in Jesus Christ. It is scary to me that a missionary could struggle with such things. It really bothered me that I couldn't answer this guys questions. I couldn't tell him I know because I don't know according to his definition. My companion said he knew that God was there, but his definition (knowing by seeing) of knowing is different than ours. It really shook me. The next day I read Alma 32. I challenge you guys to read it. I don't need to see. I believe, and I will continue to believe because I believe this gospel is true. I believe that Jesus came to the earth. The spirit has testified to me that He is my Savior and Redeemer. I believe that God answers prayers. And the Spirit will take that belief into the hearts of others and testify of its truthfulness. My beliefs and my honesty about those beliefs will bring others into the gospel. It's too bad that I don't know all the things I should know. But I don't. And I am working on it. And God will bless me with the truth.
NJ is SO foreign to me. The people, the smells, the streets, the everything. I like it. Everything about it. I can't think about anything I don't like here besides the drugs and crimes (I tend to try to be oblivious). I am really enjoying my mission. Last week was hard, but my homesickness has subsided to a dull pain that can easily be treated by hard work. Thank you for all the prayers, love, and support. I have never felt the prayers of others strengthening me before, but this is surreal. Really amazing.
Jesus Christ makes everything right. He makes me happy and he helps me everyday. I would not be out here if it wasn't for him, for he truly strengthen me when I felt I couldn't do it. I love him so very much and I want to serve him diligently (which I now find is very hard to do).
I love you all... so very much and I am happy that we have eternity together. I can't wait to come home and go out to dinner with you guys, watch movies with you guys, go to church with you guys, hot tub with you guys. It will be fun. But because God has given me you, he has asked for a small favor of two years. He also promised me you would be blessed for it. So for you and for Him I am out here serving the people of NJ. I love Him
Uhm... no uke yet. But I did get that cool water clock and stuff! Thanks.

Love you
Elder McFarland
P.s. Hope you liked your gifts

No comments:

Post a Comment