Monday, February 24, 2014

NJ is Bizarreeee

NJ is bizarreeeee.

I am in the hoood.

This week was super good. Tuesday morning I had my studies and then I went with Elder Tanner, Elder Flores (my papa) and his companion Elder Leon to Dunkin Donuts. I bought me and Elder Flores a donut and realized when I got back to my companion I hadn't bought him one. Although I didnt want to give up my doughnut (fat kid probs), I gave him my doughnut. From that moment on he and I have gotten along so well. We had some great times this week.

We moved Shannette's baptism to the 9 of March. Hannah, that is your birthday. Shannette will be "born again" on your birthday! I am so excited. Shannette has a big battle ahead of her, but if she keeps trying she will win. She has no problem with following the commandments. She gave up iced tea the day we taught her the word of wisdom. She is a golden investigator. Her problem is that she has practically no one to support her besides the missionaries and her less active and unreliable cousin, Lissette. Lissette has made some major changes, but she isn't keeping her commitments. The Lord will help her though if she truly puts her trust in him. 

After our Tuesday appointment with Shannette, we were walking. (this is a pretty gross story... not the most mission appropriate story). Elder Murray was walking ahead of me. I looked to my left and saw a girl. She was peeing. I didn't know this. I thought she had slipped or dropped something, so I asked her, "can I help you?" She said, " whoooooops. I'm sorry sir" as she stood up and pulled up her pants. It was so embarrassing. Welcome to Paterson.

Anyways. I love my mission right now. We had transfers last week so that was actually kind of sad. But I am excited to work very hard this upcoming week. We are having more and more success. We had bball and met 7 new potential investigators. That is pretty good in one night. We are also going to be contacting like crazy. It isn't as hard for me to talk to people. Sometimes I get scared when the people are scary, but you do it anyway. I love walking the streeets of Paterson.  Sometimes you get the scariest looking men to call you brother and give you a hug or get old women on the streets calling you honey or baby. Those are the times when you love being in the hood.

I love the people here. There is so much potential. I didn't see it at first, but really there is so much work to be done here in Paterson. There is so much potential, and if God wills it, this place will explode into a stronghold for the church. The people here need the gospel. 

I gave a talk yesterday about the Book of Mormon and I have realized how amazing it really is. It promises to guide us, heal us, and "carry us through this vale of sorrow" into a much better "promised land" (Alma 37:45... i think). I love that book. I love it like someone loves their significant other. It makes me happier, and I feel comforted EVERY time I read it. 

Jessieeee. Serve a mission :) its awesome. 
David. Get ready. It is fun, but hard.
Hannah. I love you. I hope you ask mom for a big present for your birthday.
Adam. Dont grow up. You are too cute in that suit.
Dad. Go to the Temple on your motorcycle.
Mom. It's gonna be 3 months on Thursday.

I love you.

Elder McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment