Sunday, December 1, 2013

David's Poem

In The Basement


by David McFarland

I stand alone in the dark hallway
After turning off the lights,

I noticed.

Big bro isn't coming home tonight, 
Nor will he for his Best 2 Years
I feel lonely as I walk to my room in the darkness,
Alone in an empty basement.
The empty rooms themselves don't upset me
But what they represent,
And the memories they've saved.

And yet,

It is not a feeling of sadness that fills my heart
But a feeling of hope and reassurance
Of God and His work for us.
His love radiates from all around,

And I notice.

I am not alone.
My brother is never gone.
He is with me on the tramp, 
Playing "attack of the marblens"
He is with me, 
controller in hand, 
As we beat the last boss of Kingdom Hearts,
 for the millionth time.
He is with me in the town homes 
On a frozen pond in a frozen world,
Our hands like Tigers
(I really like cattails)
He is standing in the bathroom,
I ask to hurry and get ready for bed before him
"Goodnight Bro, I love you."
He is home.

And so, 

I do not miss my brother,
Because I was never aiming at him.
Our sights are set higher,
And we choose to serve God.
Is 2 years really all we get?
To do the work we have been 
Preparing for our whole lives?
Or is it just the beginning of our eternal mission,
To bring about the work of God.
God has time and power
To do anything He wants, 
So He helps us.
"To bring to pass the eternal life of man"

This is our work and our glory

4 years. A great start to a mission,
That will last the eternities.

1 comment: