Tuesday, September 29, 2015

boom-pow

Today we went to lunch with our newest recent convert. Roberto took us out to eat pizza. We went to a park and sat and talked. He is so funny("puchica"), and he has crazy experiences. We read a scripture, I sang a song, and said goodbye. It is hard to be transferred. 

While driving to the park, I got a call from President Taggart. They told me last night that I would be moving areas. I am not too shaken up about it because I saw it coming. President was proud of me and what I have done throughout my mission. It was nice to feel like I had pleased my leader. But now I am going to have a new companion in a "dynamite" area. President wants me to help this missionary to grow. 

I am sad to leave. But I know that God wants me somewhere else. Every single transfer has led me to amazing new people. I feel overwhelmed with all of the love from all over New Jersey, and I know I will meet special people in my next area. 

Tuesday I got to spend with Elder Cuyan. He is from the Philippines. He is a very spiritual guy and is very sensitive to the whispers of the Spirit. He would ask questions and bear testimony directly to what they needed. It was a good reminder of who is the real teacher. 

We visited with Leo and Yari last Tuesday. We invited them to be baptized. Yari told us that she doesn't feel it yet. That is ok. She will feel it. Yesterday Madelyn (her cousin) shared her testimony in sacrament meeting. Yari bawled. It was a very touching moment. Leo didn't answer when I asked him to be baptized. He was moaning all during the lesson, and we could all tell he wasn't ok. He looked down at his lap as he sighed. His mom stood up, walked over to him, and stroked his head. She then looked me in the eyes and said, "help me. Help me with him. He needs to go to a doctor."

I felt so helpless. I can't make Leo go to the doctor. I can't convince him to get better. I realized how pathetic we really are, and how we do really depend on God for everything.

One of the things I can do for Leo though, is pray and be his friend. 

And that is all we can really do to help anyone. Pray for them and be a real friend.

My companion and I get along really well and we had a good time this week. He is a good kid and is very kind. He is super funny too. But don't tell him I said that because then he will get a big head... Haha.

The pope came to Philadelphia this week. The roads were ridiculous and everywhere we went we heard about his arrival. I personally think it is awesome. Millions of people showed up to show their devotion. It opened many hearts this week as we were talking with the people. I like the Pope. He seems like a loving person.

We had a correlation meeting with President Stokes. He is the Stake President. He has been a great example to me when I was in Freehold and now while I am here in Trenton. He is intelligent and loving and focussed. A wonderful man. 

Roberto was baptized Saturday morning in a river in the Pocano's Mountains. Everyone said the Spirit was present and that it was a beautiful experience. We weren't allowed to go, but we were happy that it was done there. Roberto loved it. He is a happier person. The time finally came for him to enter into the path back to his Heavenly Father. That is exciting.

He bore his testimony to me today. He said, "with our heavenly father, nothing is impossible." He said more, but I felt the Spirit when he said that. It reminded me of my patriarchal blessing. I am grateful for Roberto and for the advice and counsel and love he has given me. Hopefully I get to see him again before he leaves to Guatemala next year. 

Roberto asked me to confirm him. That was a great experience. I love being part of peoples' stories.

So today is a lot of "see ya laters" because I am coming back as soon as I can to New Jersey. I love it here. I think I might live here for part of my life. Obviously not in Trenton, but some quaint township out here would be awesome!

As I prayed last night, I felt my relationship with God grow. I know there is a god. I know that he loves me. And I know that I love him.


Was good 
Jersey Strong
Life is good in the gospel


Love you

Elder McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment